Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thing 33 - Travel 2.0

I'm jumping to something that REALLY interests me - TRAVEL!!!
Since I've been using tripadvisor for years this seems at home to me... until I read some of the articles and found that there are a lot of other good sites to check out. For now, I'll just review what travel 2.0 is - sites that are all about sharing - it is the interactive nature of these that is appealing. Sort of like a wiki - you can comment and have input. Tripadvisor has 3.5 million users - they say it is "real stories from real travelers". I would agree. The forums are active so people can get quick answers. The site is owned by expedia which I did not know. According to tripadvisor they have a way of detecting fraudulent reviews and even if a few get through there are enough "real" ones that travelers can tell by reading a bunch of reviews on a place. My only problem is when there aren't many reviews on the smaller, out of the way places. But all in all, people think TA is pretty accurate.

Another site coming in June is farecast.com - this will help travelers decide when to buy an airline ticket by predicting the cost of future airline travel. That could be very helpful.

One of the articles listed a bunch of Travel 2.0 sites - including You tube travel - I didn't look at this.

Most travel guidebook publishers have online forums - I have used fodors.com and found this to be useful. They say one of the first and best is from Lonely Planet - Thorn Tree.

An interesting blog I found was My Kugelhopf - a food and travel writing blog from an American living in Switzerland. Now, this looked interesting - tons of good food pictures. My question is , does she get paid by anyone to do this?

Another site is gusto.com - an interactive site recommending all kinds of travel info. One of the first things I noticed was an article on a guy who completes a world trip relying on Twitter friends. This looked like a good site -lots of reviews for hotels, restaurants, etc.

If you were planning a trip - you could spend DAYS researching - the days of using one or two guidebooks is OVER. That's for sure.

No comments: